Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Design notes: Fullamusu Bangura

By Fullamusu Bangura




For my poster, I wanted to focus on the different visual portrayals of Mami Wata to demonstrate how she changes depending on the culture and geographical location that produces her. I used blue and purple, both colors heavily associated with her because of her relationship with the sea. I also used circles because they stand out to me as a very organic shape, important because Mami Wata is considered a spiritual symbol tied to nature. By having the circles overlapping at the bottom, I aim to demonstrate the cultural overlap of the recognizable symbol of a standard mermaid and how things change when her racial and cultural identity comes into play.

Related:
AALCI 2015
 
************
************ 

No comments: