Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mariah Hill on poster presentation


By Mariah Hill

My research highlights a recent policy enforced by the Unites States military banning black women from sporting natural hairstyles. I also recognize the direct connection to social media and its influence on image and politics. I used the recent example of the U.S. Army's new hair policy and the wave created by social media in pushing for social equality and promoting cultural acceptance.

I choose this topic to recognize the value of modern technology in today's advanced way of communicating and to show that cultural acceptance is a prominent issue being influenced by politics and through digital technology. Rapidly finding and sharing information has allowed many people the opportunity to speak, create their own opinion, and express their ideas with others of interest. As a result of my findings, I expose the importance of natural black hair care along with the consequences of creating identity barriers.

Related:
AALCI 2014

************
************

No comments: