Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Candace Chambers' poster presentation



By Candace Chambers

My project explores why Young Adult (YA) African American fiction appeals to the specific reading interests of black girls ages 10-15. My research analyzes Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry (1976), The Skin I’m In (2000), and November Blues (2007) because the novels feature black, female protagonists who encounter issues such as racial identity and teenage pregnancy. My research suggests that when black girls identify with the texts, they may be more inclined to engage those works and in the process strengthen their literacy skills.

I am interested in this project because I hope that my research can enlighten educators on the importance of presenting YA African American fiction to black girls between the ages of 10-15. The availability of YA African American fiction novels within classroom libraries can present opportunities for black girls to have the option of leisurely reading texts they can identify with. I hope an increase in reading among black girls can cause an increase in their literacy skills and cause a decrease in the number of African American students performing at or below the basic level on standardized reading tests.


Related:
AALCI 2014

************
************

No comments: