Saturday, June 10, 2017

Course packets and reading materials


We have a range of reading materials for the summer. In addition to handouts, I produced a course packet. We're also reading Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad (2016), Deborah Willis's Black: A Celebration of Culture (2004), and Katharine Harmon's You Are Here: Mapping the Soul of the City (2016).

What I like about the course packet is that it accumulates much of what we've gathered over the years. There are sample writings from past Fellows, and there are write-ups based on what I've learned over the years working with the students. The course packet, as a form, enables me to bring an assortment of ideas together in something resembling a sense of order. I hope, too, that some of the materials contained in the packets will serve the Fellows well beyond the Institute.  (I wrote more about the value of the course packets in 2016).

Related:
AALCI 2017

**************


No comments: