Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Receiving guidance on tech/DH projects

One of the new activities this summer involved the production of data visualizations using the software program Tableau Public. Students designed projects based on a few different datasets, and throughout the process they had one-on-one meetings with Professor Margaret Smith, the assistant research professor at the IRIS Center at SIUE. 

I had previously worked with Smith on a few projects for my own research, which is what gave me the idea to ask her to work with our AALCI fellows. The students informed me that they benefited by drawing on her knowledge and getting her feedback on their projects. 

One student said these meetings were important because Professor Smith "asked me questions and gave me possible other routes that I could take the time to explore that helped to bolster my final product."

A few different students mentioned a common word when it came to the assistance that they received from Smith: "trouble shooting." As one of our fellows noted, "Without her support and quick tips to fix the problems I encountered, I wouldn’t have been able to finish the overall project."

"Those meetings with Smith were especially helpful," said another student, "since I could ask her for guidance in certain situations which were beyond my expertise." Yet another student pointed out that, "I could tell Professor Smith was really dedicated to making sure that I knew how to use the software" and added that "If it wasn’t for her I would’ve been frustrated with the software."

It's rare for students to get the one-on-one attention that they received from Prof. Smith this summer. Recognizing how much the students benefited, however, I'm going to start thinking through ways to expand this kind of educational opportunity. 

Related:

No comments: