Thursday, June 16, 2022

Kehinde Wiley's Judith and Holofernes



Judith and Holofernes
is an oil painting by Kehinde Wiley that I have nicknamed the “Beheading of Becky.” The painting displays a black woman holding the head of a white woman surrounded by a dark but floral background. When gazing at this painting I instantly feel a range of emotions. The first is humor but right after is awe. I am in awe of how Wiley captured the gracefulness and femininity of this black woman through her stance and adornments while in the same breath highlighting her strength. When studying the picture closely I noticed how the position of her feet falls directly on flowers further emphasizing her delicacy. This picture stood out the most to me because black women often do not get the luxury of being viewed as both strong & feminine, yet Wiley presents just how possible it is.  --Nicole Dixon





Related: 

No comments: