Thursday, June 16, 2022

D.A.Y. Tyme at AALCI



Beyond the presentation on poetry, the fellows were treated to a mini-concert by San Antonio group D.A.Y.Tyme. The group consists of San Antonio Poet Laureate Andrea "Vocab" Sanderson, David Jacobe, and Yvette Hardin. That is, David Andrea Yvette. 

So it's D. A. Y. Tyme. It's they time.

They sang a few different wonderful songs. Took as to church, as the folks say. 

The fellows really enjoyed the experience. 




"Today's performance was great," said Yaqkeha Witherspoon. "And it just expanded my view on the many ways there are to cultivate beauty."

And Terrie Briggs offered more: 
“Being able to witness D.A.Y. Tyme’s performance was truly inspirational and informative. It was beneficial to me as a fellow writer to listen to the members discuss their writing process and overall journey towards their current point in their individual and collective careers. It was helpful to hear the ways our processes of creation were similar as well as different because they both provided me with a sense of how I might want to adapt my process in the future.”

D. A. Y. Tyme sang an original song by Jacobe entitled "The Recovery Room." Hey, it's really powerful. One of my first orders of business after the show was signing on to Tidal to listen to the song again. (It's available on Spotify, Apple Music, etc).




"Today's performance resonated with me in telling myself to be encouraged and get through recovery," said Elizabeth Gowans. "I often find myself overwhelmed and in a depressed state. It takes quite a lot to be in recovery and I felt it was a right on-time word brought specifically for me."

Chaunece Reed noted that the group was "very welcoming, calming, and inspiring in ways they do not know." She said that she "had never experienced spoken word in collaboration with lyrical music before, and I thought that combination was fascinating and moving." 

D. A. Y. Tyme's "voices were beautiful," said Nicole Dixon, "but even more beautiful was being able to witness their passionate and strong connection with one another."

D. A. Y. Tyme with AALCI (source: Vocab's Instagram page)



Related: 

No comments: